First United Methodist Church
Guidelines for In-Person Worship
We will resume in-person worship Sunday, January 24, 2021. Services will continue to be broadcast on YouTube live, and Facebook live stream during our 11:00am worship service. Additionally, the recorded Sunday morning worship service will be made available on both the First UMC website and Facebook page.
Because South Carolina is in the midst of the most critical time during the pandemic. It is extremely important we take care of ourselves and each other. The Pastor and church leadership will continue to evaluate the Covid-19 climate in our community and modify the guidelines as needed. My hope, prayer, and projected goal is to have things back to normal for worship by mid-February and midweek fellowship meals by Ash Wednesday. Following are the guidelines that we will observe during Sunday morning worship service and other indoor gatherings for now.
- On Sunday morning, the two main front entrances to the sanctuary will be open at 10:30am. Please practice social distancing (6 feet) at all times especially when seated in the pews. (Exceptions for married couples and families).
- There will be no small group gatherings (Sunday school/staff meetings) until we move beyond the critical weeks of the pandemic.
- Every other pew is to be unoccupied and closed as to help maintain safe distancing.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be located in the narthex.
- Please wear a mask or face shield while in the sanctuary, church office, daycare, and family life center.
- Please be mindful of social distancing when exiting the building.
- There will be no choir.
- There will be no handbell choir unless all “ringers” are masked at all times and spaced 6 feet apart.
- The music and hymns will be limited to 1 or 2 verses and will be INSTRUMENTAL.
- Special music will be INSTRUMENTAL.
- When possible bulletins will be distributed in the pews prior to worship.
- The offering box is located at the back of the sanctuary.
- If you are sick, running a fever, feeling unusual or sluggish, we ask that you please stay home and worship with us virtually.
- If you have traveled to “hot spot” areas, in contact or around anyone who is symptomatic or has tested positive for Covid-19, please stay home and worship with us virtually.
- If you test positive for Covid-19, after attending a service or gathering, call the church office immediately.
- If you have special needs or prayer requests please call the church office.
A special thank you to all of you who have selflessly demonstrated grace, modeled the love of Jesus by protecting your neighbor by masking, and especially for the wonderful cooperation and constant support and understanding spirit.
Peace, Prayers, and JOY!
Taylor Coates, Pastor